Winston”s Words “Passion in all we do.” Read More Open 70 Years After working several years uptown in someone else’s barber shop Mr Jessie H. Winston decided to open his barber shop in 1942 and establishing himself as one of
Donnan’s Barber Shop: 1960s Command Post for Deacons for Defense and Justice in Natchez NATCHEZ, Miss. – In the 1960s, a crucial time for civil rights, the two-story wood-frame building at 319 North Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St. became a
William Johnson Known as the “barber” of Natchez, William Johnson began his life as a slave. His freedom at age eleven followed that of his mother Amy and his sister Adelia. After working as an apprentice to his brother–in–law James Miller, Johnson
The George Bowles House The George Bowles House at 13St. Catherine was one of several houses built on the hill after the 1886 demolition of the hospital. Partially visible is the parsonage of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church.
The Barlands House The Queen Anne style house was built in the 1890’s for Walter and Alice Barland stood at 84 St. Catherine Street until it was demolished in the 1990s. The store built in the front yard survives and is typical
A List The Russel House Eliza Smith, An Antebellum “free woman of color,” purchased property on St. Catherine Street in 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s. 28 St. Catherine Street was the home
Mazique -West House The Mazique Town House; 407 Martin Luther King St. The Mazique family-owned extensive property including Oakland Plantation and China Grove. August and Sarah Mazique, with financial support of a white neighbor, purchased China Grove Plantation in 1870, There they
Wright’s Grandmothers Home Growing up in Natchez Description Richards Wright Grandmothers’ house located in the historic Woodlawn district is where he spent his early childhood years.
“A blockquote highlights important information, which may or may not be an actual quote. It uses distinct styling to set it apart from other content on the page.” A List Concord Quarters 1. The only freestanding slave dwelling in the state of
Watkins Street Cementary This cemetery was begun in 1909 by the purchase of 17 acres. It was then known as The Colored Peoples Cemetery. Today burials are allowed and the grounds are maintained by volunteers, county workers, and a spirited civic group.