The Barlands House
The Queen Anne style house was built in the 1890’s for Walter and Alice Barland stood at 84 St. Catherine Street until it was demolished in the 1990s. The store built in the front yard survives and is typical of the small stores that were once dotted throughout the St. Catherine Street neighborhoods.
Barland children and descendants straddled two racial cultures. In 1824 son Andrew Barland petitioned the legislature to remove restrictions of race and stated that he had married a white woman, owned slaves, served on jury, testified in court, and voted. He also noted that his “sisters have all married white men”