Henry Dumas poses on the front steps of 69 St. Catherine Street. Henry managed the Dumas Pharmacy at 707-09 Franklin Street, a building that also housed the medical practice and sanitarium of his brother Dr. Albert W. Dumas, Sr. In 1940 Dr.
The Union School (above) was the first public school built by the City of Natchez for African American students. Built in 1871 by contractor P. E. Willman, the Union School was a grand brick edifice that stood at the southeast corner of
The Dr. John Banks House at 9 St. Catherine Street was built in the Queen Anne style about 1892 and was remodeled in the Colonial Revival style after about 1905. Dr. Banks was the first African American doctor in Natchez. He graduated
The Fred U. Hammett Family of Natchez, Mississippi:Information about Elizabeth (Jonas Eiler slave) Home Page | Surname List | Index of Individuals | | Sources Barland Bought slaves Elizabeth (Jonas Eiler slave) (b. Bet. 1748 – 1774, d. Mar 22, 1883)
Robert Smith House The Smith-Bontura-Evans-House, also known as Evansview  and as Bontura, is a historic house and business built by Robert D. Smith in Natchez, Mississippi. A free African American, Smith built the combined building for his livery business and a Greek Revival residence between 1851 and 1858.
Photo Retouching Our Portfolio On April 23,1940, a large number of the African American community gathered at the Rhythm Club to hear the Walter Barnes Orchestra from Chicago. The building was cooled by ceiling fans and decorated with Spanish